Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Downward Doggin' to the Drums

After months (or maybe it's been years - I'm embarrassed to say) I finally took a yoga class at my sister's yoga studio, the Mystic Yoga Shala. It was a Power Vinyasa class in a 90 degree heated room and definitely not for someone as inexperienced as myself, but I was lured by the idea that they would have live drumming during the class. There were two guys playing djun-djuns, djembes, asikos and other various cool sounding percussion during the entire session! Pretty cool. One thing my sister commented on after the class was over, was how listening to the drums seemed to make the holding of the postures take less effort, or possibly maybe she meant that it was easier to focus and therefore hold and transition between the postures (??) Well, whatever it was, it certainly worked for me, because I don't think I knew how much effort I was putting in to the class while I was taking it. Two days later I can't believe how much of a huge tenderized piece of meat I feel like!

This particular class was partially benefiting and bringing awareness to a very cool organization called Africa Yoga Project

Their mission is "to empower youth, build a global community
and increase well-being in East Africa", particularly in Kenya where they have "introduced hundreds of students in Kenya to the practice of yoga, as well provided educational scholarships, job training food stipends, temporary housing and health services".

I thought there answer to "Why Yoga?" was particularly awesome too:
"Yoga reveals our authentic selves, perfect and flawed, uncovers our limitless potential to embrace change and to take action. The practice of yoga does not only work for upper class westerners, but for Kenyans too. Yoga transforms limitations into power.
Yoga revolutionizes our body, our emotions, our relationships and our ability to serve the greater good"

Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment