Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Green Smoothie that Gandhi Would Have Loved

The other day I turned this into.....


this!

I found the lovely Purslane plant growing out of the pavement at my sister's house, pulled up several stems, through them in a blender with a hand full of pineapple, a banana and some water and made the most delicious smoothie.  Originating in India, Purslane is the wild edible know for having the highest omega 3 content of any plant.  It also contains high amounts of vitamins A, C and E and minerals iron, potassium, maganese, calcium and magnesium. I was also pleased to find in my research that purslane was one of Ghandi's favorite foods.  Read more about it and get a closer look at this succulent plant so you can more easily identify it here and here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment