Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Medicinal and Other Uses of the Black Walnut Tree




The other day I was at my parent's house in the country and discovered these "fruits" scattered all over the ground under their black walnut tree.  They had a really interesting and strong of spicy smell and there were so many of them, I thought to myself there must be something we can do with these.
I did some research and found out that every part of the tree has been used by indigenous Americans (First Nations) for everything from dyeing the hair to treating toothaches.  And besides eating the flavorful nuts, they also used a juice they would make from it for parasite prevention and as an antiseptic salve.
Read more about it's many uses on the Virginia Tech Fact sheet here and on eHow's fact page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment